Here are some tips on how to not become a burglary victim:
- Never leave doors unlocked even if you are only leaving for a few minutes, or are working in the backyard.
- Do not leave windows open overnight or while you are away from your home.
- Close and lock your garage door. Do not leave garage door openers in unlocked vehicles or in plain view in locked vehicles.
If there are signs of a burglary (broken window, forced door, etc.):
- Call 911 immediately from a cell phone or neighbor’s house. Do not take the chance of confronting a burglar inside.
- Do not touch anything or clean anything up. Latent fingerprints obtained on surfaces, doors or windows may help officers discover the identity of the burglars.