Here are some tips on how to prevent vehicle break-ins:
- Lock your car doors and close your windows. Thieves target unlocked vehicles.
- Do not leave valuables in your car, even if the car is locked. Thieves love to “window shop.” Secure GPS units, laptop computers, cell phones, purses, wallets, after market electronic equipment, loose change, etc. in the trunk or remove them from the vehicle altogether.
- Do not leave keys in the ignition or anywhere inside the vehicle.
- If possible, park your car in your garage with the garage door closed and locked.
If there are signs of a vehicle break-in:
- Call Pemberville Police to report the theft.
- Do not touch anything or clean anything up. Latent fingerprints obtained on surfaces, doors or windows may help officers discover the identity of the thief.